Tonight's Colbert-ism: "Having gays move into your neighborhood may increase property values, which will come in handy when you immediately sell your house."
I just saw the most perplexing commercial I've seen in a while. And I got a degree in "making commercials." The ad was for JC Penney. This little girl-- she couldn't have been more than 11-- scribbles "SM + LC" in the middle of a heart she's sketched in a notebook. Then a class mate passes behind her, so the little girl quickly covers the heart with her hands to shield the scribbling from anyone else's sight. The scribbling on the notebook disappears only to magically reappear on the chalkboard, so she races over to cover up the chalkboard. This continues a few more times until the scribbled heart magically appears on the lunch table, so she takes a running leap, slides down the lunch table on her belly and covers up the embarrassing heart. When she looks up, there is the boy who's initials she scribbled into the heart. He gives her a little wink and a nod of the head. Then the tagline says something like "Will you make today count?" or something like that. Again, it was JC Penney!
What?
Is JC Penney trying to get kids to start dating? At no point did I see any sort of effort to show clothing. Seriously, the commercial left me with an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Not because I'm against kids that young showing any sort of interest in the opposite sex, but because when I was 12 I wasn't smooth enough to wink at a chick. I'm still not that smooth. I guess what I'm sayin' is, it's too cold in the grogery store to wear flip flops. The end.
peace sign,
p
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment