Wednesday, August 1, 2007

You Can't Hide Forever

Tonight's Colbert-ism: "“Mmm, mmm, mmm, they are making Vicodin taste like Smartees now. I hope they send me some free Vicodin for mentioning their product.”


While I was in Kansas City (more accurately, St. Joseph, Missouri) last week, I had to do something I feared ever since May. See, last may, I finally went to work on my first legitimate feature film. I made a promise to myself when I moved to LA last year that I wouldn't get a tattoo until I worked on a legitimate, full length film. And even though Sister Switch was a low budget indie with obscure actors, no call sheets, and eventually got shelved indefinitely, it still counted. So at the end of May I decided to give myself the reward I had patiently waited for and earned through my hard work. I went to Ink Monkey Tattoos at the corner of Lincoln and Venice and got a Kansas Jayhawk tattooed on the back of my left shoulder blade.

It's a cool, accurate inking of my beloved university's mascot. People have told me that it looks really good and people who know me realize that it's fitting for me to have the Jayhawk permanently decorating my body. I've had people at the beach ask if they can photograph it. Even my grandma said, "You can't be out in California with out a Jayhawk!"

So last week at a family pool party, I obviously got in the pool and my mother finally saw what I had done. I had told everyone in my family except for my mother. Here's what my mother had to say (sarcastically) when she saw it as everyone else in my family looked on silently in eager anticipation:

Hip...hip...hooray.

I can't emphasize enough how un-enthused she was.

When I pulled out the old, "Grandma said it was a good idea" card, she said, "Well she's a very sweet lady." So my mother didn't like it, but I knew she wouldn't. But I went ahead and got a tattoo anyway. But I got something that made sense to me. Ask anyone about me and I guarantee they will say "Jayhawk" or "KU" while describing me. It's practically part of my identity. It's not like I got some girls name on my shoulder. The point is, with DVDs, you don't have to worry about rewinding. The end.

peace sign,
p

No comments: